Brexit Guidance


Brexit Guidance for Stone Federation members

An Introduction

Stone Federation is committed to resourcing our members in all areas of their business, from marketing and technical backup through to health and safety and international trade.

In order to provide our members with a useful resource on the potential impacts of Brexit on the natural stone sector, we have been in discussion with the Government, European bodies and industry experts. 

Our Involvement

We currently have two representatives sitting on the Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) EU Exit on the Rules of Origin Thematic Panels.  This cross-Whitehall exercise, led by BEIS is part of a Government policy development process in framing our future economic partnership with the European Union.  These panels have enabled us to engage with the Government and other business sector leaders around the issues of Rules of Origin for the natural stone industry. 

We will continue to promote both the use of natural stone and Stone Federation members in Great Britain and overseas through our strong working relationships with industry bodies in Europe and the rest of the world.  We already have a number of Stone Federation representatives on Euroroc committees who will continue to work to ensure that the UK natural stone sector is represented.

UKCA Marking/CE Marking


What happens on 1 January 2021?

On 1st January 2021, the UK will move from CE Marking to UKCA Marking. Companies placing natural stone products on the UK market can switch the CE Marking logo to a UKCA logo without the need for retesting.  This is because almost all natural stone products are AVCP system 4. Under this system, the economic operator (producer, supplier, etc) takes the lead and doesn’t have to use an EC notified/accredited 3rd party enabling companies to use the same data.  A ‘declaration of performance’ referring to the UKCA Marking will also need to be made available.



What about when I’m exporting products to Europe?

When exporting products to Europe the logo should be switched back to the CE Marking. For a time CE Marking of products placed on the market in the UK will still be allowed however, this will not be applicable after 31st December 2021.


Will the EU accept testing from UK Test Houses?

The EU will be able to accept UK test house results and likewise, the UK will be able to accept European test house results.


What about European Standards?

It is anticipated that while CE Marking and UKCA will be operated as two separate schemes, European Standards will still be followed in the UK.  This is because CEN is not part of the European Commission and so the UK, via the BSI can remain a part of CEN even if it is not a part of the EU.

Should there be a change in a European Testing Standard, it is currently thought that the UK, via the British Standards Institute, will adopt any new European Standard.  There is the potential for the UK to decide to not adopt a Standard or to cite a new Product Standard which is not cited in EU27, but on 01 January 2021 everything will look the same.


In Northern Ireland, CE marking and UK(NI) marking will be applied – see CLC guidance

Click here for the Government's UKCA Guidance page.

Click here for the Construction Leadership Council's UKCA Guidance Page.


Government Procurement Portal

On 1st January 2021, OJEU, the current EU procurement portal will be replaced by the UK's own portal, Find A Tender (FTS).

The new portal will list both new and existing tenders currently hosted on Tenders Electronic Daily (TED), and for ease of use, the new system will mirror the functionality of TED.

The Construction Leadership Council hosted a webinar that explained the new portal.  You can watch it here.

Brexit Preparation Checklist

1. Get an EORI number

From 1 January 2021, you will need an EORI number to move goods between Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) and the EU. You may also need one if you move goods to or from Northern Ireland.

2. Apply to use simplified declarations for imports

When you make an import declaration, you may be able to make a simplified declaration when your goods arrive at a UK or EU port or airport.  Find out more here.

3. Get someone to deal with customs for you

The Government is reminding companies that they can hire a person or business to deal with customs for you, such as freight forwarders, customs agents or brokers or fast parcel operators. Find out more here.

4. Check when you can account for import VAT on your VAT Return from 1 January 2021

Accounting for import VAT on your VAT return means you’ll declare and recover import VAT on the same VAT Return, rather than having to pay it upfront and recover it later.

From 1 January 2021, if your business is registered for VAT in the UK, you’ll be able to account for import VAT on your VAT Return for goods you import into:

  • Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) from anywhere outside the UK
  • Northern Ireland from outside the UK and EU
For more information, click here.

5. Read the Government's 'How to import and export goods between Great Britain and the EU from 1 January 2021' guidance document

You can access this 10-page guidance document here.

6. Using personal data in your business
From 1 January 2021, your organisation may need to have Standard Contractual Clauses (SCCs) in place with EU counterparts in order to legally receive personal data from the EU.


The EU’s data adequacy assessment of the UK is underway and the Government is confident that adequacy decisions can be concluded by the end of the transition period. This would allow for the free flow of personal data from the EU/EEA to the UK to continue without any further action by organisations.


However, if the EU has not made adequacy decisions in respect of the UK before the end of the transition period, you should act if you want to ensure you can continue to lawfully receive personal data from EU/EEA businesses (and other organisations) in the future.

7. Check if you need to register to be a licensed sponsor 

From 1 January 2021, you will need to register as a licensed sponsor to hire eligible people from outside the UK.